I'd like to introduce you to one of my favorite ingredients...
THE DAIKON RADISH!
Now, I'll admit, when I first saw these long white root things in the grocery store, I was a little hesitant to buy them. First off, they are intimidatingly HUGE and usually come in a 3-pack for a few dollars (so they're super cheap) - I didn't know what I'd do with all of this radish! But after I tasted it, and started exploring different ways to use it, I was hooked!!
In TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) it's encouraged for you to eat Daikon EVERY DAY - because it is one of the rare fruits and vegetables that clear all twelve of your energy meridians (the things acupuncturists use to determine where to stick the needles), and is considered to be slightly cooling to the system -- let's equate "cooling" with "alkalizing," or "calming," or "anti-inflammatory," to use Western terminology.
So, why else eat Daikon? Research suggests....
- Daikon contains some amazing antioxidants linked to cancer prevention.
- Daikon is super high in vitamin C.
- Daikon, like Coconut, is a natural anti-viral and anti-bacterial.
- Daikon is an anti-inflammatory!
- Daikon juice contains a lot of the enzymes we need to help digest our food (yay!).
- Daikon, like green tea, is a natural diuretic - which supports your kidneys!
- Daikon is high in calcium for ya bones.
- Although not scientifically proven, it is traditional in Asian cultures to eat Daikon to help burn fat.
AND they're cheap! AND they've got a refreshingly light crunch without the heat of a red radish!
So how do you eat it?
Peel it, and then cut it up to use in soups, in stir-fries, or raw in salads, you can pickle it, you can cook and mash them, or you can do my new favorite thing - and just cut it up to eat by itself or with hummus.
As always, a friendly reminder to go organic whenever possible -- Daikon is great because even the organic ones are still like $3-4 a bunch!
Leave a comment below on how you've used the Daikon in your cooking!!
Rock on in Radiant Health!!